So, how did I get myself in CMA Live this year? Well it’s all thanks to Karen (yes! The Karen Reyburn).
Around the same time last year, Karen had just come back from the conference and told us that she already bought tickets for the next CMA Live – not only for herself but for the whole PF team!
You can easily tell Karen enjoyed CMA Live 2017. I still remember how excited she was, talking about her experience and things she learned from the conference. However I just couldn’t relate.
For someone who rarely attends conferences, I wasn’t really that keen at first (sorry). I never really knew what CMA was all about before. Rather than excited, I just felt curious. I kept wondering how CMA Live was different from other conferences. Was it really that great? Should I look forward to an event that’s like a year away? And all sorts.
Now, CMA Live 2018 happened. And it was A-mazing! In fact, it was way more amazing than what I could have imagined! I finally get what made Karen that excited a year ago!
Huge thanks to Chris Marr and his awesome team for making CMA Live an amazing experience! The venue was unreal! The stage and swag looked awesome! The speakers were all so inspiring and more importantly everyone was just so lovely. No one was allowed to be left out. It was great! It felt like a family reunion (with lovely strangers). It’s a great community full of individuals – happily sharing their own stories and listening to other people’s too.
And because I got inspired by Karen’s beautiful sketch notes, I also did my own! Here they are and I’ve shared some of my favourite quotes from each speaker.
1. PRESS THE DAMN BUTTON: THE DIGITAL MINDSET SHIFT REQUIRED TO STAND-OUT AND CHANGE THE WORLD!
Speaker: Brian Franzo (@iSocialFanz)
“We can’t force change! We must inspire and teach change.”
2. NICHE MARKETING: WHY IT’S SO POWERFUL AND HOW TO CHOOSE ONE
Speaker: Karen Reyburn (@KarenReyburn)
“Do you know exactly who you are and who you serve?”
3. FROM STARTUP TO STARDOM: HOW CONTENT MARKETING CAN GROW YOUR BUSINESS AND INFLUENCE AN INDUSTRY
Speaker: Allan Corfield (@allan_corfield)
“You don’t have to chase everyone.”
4. WHY YOUR PERSONALITY IS YOUR COMPANY’S SECRET WEAPON
Speaker: Mark Asquith (@MrAsquith)
“The world does not need another professional, it needs YOU!”
5. HOW TO CRAFT A VIDEO FIRST CONTENT STRATEGY (LIVE BROADCAST)
Speaker: Salma Jafri (@salmajafri)
“Work smarter not harder.”
6. CREATING BETTER CONTENT IN LESS TIME: 5 REAL-WORLD WRITING SECRETS FOR MODERN MARKETERS (THAT’S YOU!)
Speaker: Ann Handley (@annhandley)
“Do less and obsess.”
7. THE COPYWRITING SNAPSHOT: MAKING PROSPECTS SEE, BELIEVE, AND BUY
Speaker: Amy Harrison (@HarrisonAmy)
“Be willing to tackle!”
8. GO VIRAL & GENERATE MORE SALES USING FACEBOOK ADS
Speaker: Gavin Bell (@MrGavinBell)
“Embrace the messy!”
9. HOW A VALUES BASED BUSINESS IMPACTS BOTTOM LINE, CREATES COMPANY CULTURE AND GIVES YOUR COMPANY ITS VOICE
Speaker: Jenn Munro (@JenMunro1980)
“If people do not feel safe they will not learn and grow.”
10. BEING PART OF SOMETHING LARGER THAN YOURSELF: THE INCREDIBLE POWER OF ONLINE LEARNING COMMUNITIES
Speaker: Chris Marr (@chrismarr101)
“People are far more capable than what they think they are.”
11. CONSTANT CURIOSITY: FORTUNE FAVOURS THE FIRECRACKER QUESTIONER
Speaker: Jon Burkhart (@jonburkhart)
“Answer questions creatively.”
12. ONE TO MANY: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO MEMBERSHIP SUCCESS
Speaker: Mike Morrison (@MikeMIMO)
“Don’t get it perfect, get it going.”
13. GIVE YOUR BRAND A VOICE: THE MAGAZINE APPROACH TO MARKETING AND CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
Speaker: Chris Brogan (@chrisbrogan)
“No one need your content UNTIL they do.” and “Brevity matters.”
There’s a lot to take in I know. I’m still a bit overwhelmed too. I keep telling myself I don’t have to do all of these. Like Ann said, “do less and obsess.” In other words, start somewhere, pick your favourite points and make them happen. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just get it going! You’ll be surprised at the results.
Join a community that will help you learn and grow. Remember to welcome failure and change. If you don’t feel uncomfortable, you won’t get anywhere better.
This is my first ever blog. I know it’s not perfect but it’s my way of sharing my experience with you. I’m really happy to have been part of CMA Live this year. Some of you may not be able to relate, just like I couldn’t back then. Why not come next year so you can experience the excitement too!