This week I was one of the speakers at the ICAEW Practice Expo in London, sharing thoughts about social media for accountants.
Here are some of the key points made during the talk. Don’t forget to download our 27 Content Ideas for Accountancy Firms!
- Social media is where your prospects are.
- It’s just a way to communicate and share and be known. It’s nothing to be terrified about.
- It’s entirely optional for you to use social media, but if your competitors are using it, you’re missing out.
- Start with your target. If you know who you’re primarily talking to, it guides what you say.
- Prepare your content plan. Once you know who you’re talking to, it’s much easier to find something to say on social media.
- It’s all about filling the funnel. Followers become email list signups. Email signups builds your database. A bigger database means more reach. The more your reach, the more business you get.
- Push your services
- Tell people to phone you
- Post generic industry updates
- Post generic anything
- Send content in clumps
- Post nothing at all
- Ask for followers
- Share useful content
- Be helpful
- Be relevant (to your target, to your industry, to the issues)
27 Ideas for Content – free download to get you started
Follow up is critical
- If you are contacted on social media, reply as instantly as possible.
- If you’re not responding, your competitors are
Don’t generically outsource your social media, but get help with the basics:
- Social media account setup
- Design, branding, logos
- Continuous sharing of your relevant content
- Following targeted markets
And have a great Friday!